Sunday, July 22, 2007

How I Discovered Rubber Stamping

I get asked about how I got started in rubber stamping from time to time so I thought I'd just post it here (it's too long for the Blogger profile).

I've been stamping for about fourteen years. It all started when I worked at Hobby Lobby. I was working in the Crafts Department and we sold rubber stamp supplies. I thought I would buy a few so I could sell the product. Well, after I found out how easy it was, I was hooked! When I learned how to emboss there was no turning back.

Since then I have taught so many people how to stamp, from my (then) four year old grandson to a lady in her seventies. I taught an autistic girl and she was so proud of what she could do. Her cards looked as good as mine.

After working at Hobby Lobby for five years I really learned this craft. I ordered all of the supplies and used them too. I feel that in order to sell the merchandise I needed hands on experiance.

I have been in several internet groups sharing my craft. My favorite group was the Gingerbread Girls. We had so much fun swapping items and giving advice and ideas. I learned a lot from those girls. I was sad to see the group disband.

I enjoy teaching classes. The ladies are so surprised how easy it is. They get good results from the first class. It's a craft you can share. After all, you can't wear a rubberstamp out by stamping with it.

This is a craft that men enjoy also. I've had mainly ladies in my classes, but in the magazines I have seen some beautiful items stamped by men. There was a gentleman in Old Town Spring that showed me a lot of tricks at his rubber stamp store. I really miss going there, he was really a wonderful person. He had so many creative ideas.

I've used my stamps to make cards, scrapbook pages, stationary, Christmas ornaments, and refrigerater magnets. I've stamped on glass, candles, and wood. That can be a little tricky, but all it takes is practice.

My grandson and I stamped a little wooden stool for him. He loved it! Of course, it gave him a little added height so he could get into things, but it was useful too.

Stamping is easy and fun. There is always something new to learn and new challenges to meet. I never get bored. Sharing is the best way to learn. Everyone has new and creative ideas.

And through this blog I'm continuing to share what I've learned. I hope you'll share your own tips, projects, successes, and lessons learned too.

No comments: