Wednesday, July 25, 2007

It's Not Just About the Stamps

When I go to my local craft store I don't just shop the rubber stamp aisles. I love to embellish my cards with items I find in other departments.


  • I have found some really nice paper in the Art Department along with colored pencils, markers, bottles of colored ink, watercolor pencils, and eraser carving materials.



  • The Fabric Department has ribbons, floss and yarn. During the holidays there are fabrics that have motifs you can cut out and use. There are also buttons and snaps.



  • The Floral Department has ribbons, dried flowers, raffia to accent with. You can take silk flowers apart and use the petals to make a pretty card. I like to stamp a fairy and use flower petals for her skirt.



  • The Jewelry Department has beads, colored wire, flat backed jewels, conchabons, and charms. These can add a little flare to your cards. Those little letter beads are a cute accent on a card. There are also all kinds of little storage containers in those aisles.



  • I have even invaded the Model Car section. In these aisles I have found pin striping tape that comes in several colors. What an easy way to edge a card. There is flocking also, used to make animals on my cards look fuzzy. It seems everywhere I shop I can find items to add to my cards.



  • The Hardware Store is even fun now! There are fun, creative things you can do with items like paint chips.


Once you start this craft you will find creative ideas of your own. Don't limit yourself to the rubber stamp and scrapbooking aisles.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My current favorite embellishment comes from the sewing department: eyelets. You can attach eyelets to fabric or paper (and even to thin balsa wood if you are careful). Then attach tags or run ribbons or wire through the eyelets depending on the type of project. I usually put the eyelets in place or at least mark their placement BEFORE stamping so I don't end up with eyelet holes in a part of the stamp that I don't want a hole in.

Leslie said...

Thanks for the great tip about marking where your eyelet will be.There are several colors of eyelets in the scrapbook aisle too.